We believe that a wide range of sporting opportunities should be made accessible to all students. Students are encouraged to take the opportunity to explore personal traits such as leadership, teamwork, responsibility, risk taking and commitment, whilst enjoying the health benefits that result from participation in regular physical activity.
We recognise our responsibility to our students to provide access to a safe, challenging and positive environment for all those involved. Competitive Sport at Toorak College operates within a ‘non compulsory/elective’ format and places students in school-run competition as well as community, state and national sporting organisation competitions.
Our program aims to provide opportunities for individual skill development as well as direction within the community for possible high performance pathways and lifelong participation in physical activity.
Benefits of playing sport
- Linked to improved academic performance
- Promotes attributes such as teamwork, leadership and sportsmanship
- Epitomises the success that comes with hard work and persistence
- Helps students gain perspective on the wins and losses of life
- Provides an avenue for lifelong friendships
- Offers a sense of community belonging
- Increases the chances of participants enjoying sport as adults and reaping the many health benefits.
Wardle House students participate in School Sport Victoria competitions.
Our Senior School girls participate in the Girls Sport Victoria (GSV) program. Toorak College is a foundation member of Girls Sport Victoria (GSV) Sporting Association, the leading provider of sport to independent girls schools.
The ELC Program uses an experiential play based approach to develop self-expression in movement. Perceptual Motor Skill development is introduced to students through class based activities.
Students have the opportunity to participate in:
- Physical Education classes for fundamental movement (Prep to Year 6)
- Weekly Sport classes (Year 3 to Year 6)
- Sporting Schools program aimed at introducing students to a variety of new sports (Prep to Year 6)
- Learn to Play Tennis (Prep to Year 6)
- Learn to Dive (Year 3 to Year 6)
- Learn to Sail (Year 3 to Year 6)
- House Events - Swimming, Athletics and Cross-Country events (Year 3 to Year 6)
- School Sport Victoria Primary Years interschool competition (Year 5 to Year 6)
- Interschool community competitions - Equestrian, Snowsports (Year 3 to Year 6) and RACV Energy Breakthrough Challenge (HPV) (Year 5 and Year 6)
- Sporting Organisation competitions such as the Hoop Time Basketball competition and the Milo In2Cricket program (Year 5 and Year 6)
- Frankston Netball after school program (Year 5 and Year 6)
- Cross Country competitors can participate in the Girls Sport Victoria Championship event as well as the Athletics Victoria Schools Cross Country series (Year 5 and Year 6)
Top competitors in the school progress to the School Sport Victoria Primary competition in Swimming, Cross Country and Athletics. The top competitors from the District event continue on to Division, Regional and State Competitions. The numbers that progress through to each of level of competition are set by the SSV program.
Toorak College competes in the School Sport Victoria Winter Sport Program which consists of local and away practice matches and a one day District Lightening Premiership Competition. Toorak College traditionally competes in Netball, Soccer, T-Ball and Hockey competitions.
In Senior School students have the opportunity to participate in:
- Physical Education Classes - Swimming, Diving, Athletics, Netball, Hockey, AFL, Soccer, Fitness, Volleyball, Tennis, Basketball, Cricket, Lacrosse, Handball, Frisbee, Football Codes, Self-Defense, Challenge Activities, Fitness Program Design, Coaching.
- House Events - Swimming, Diving, Cross Country, Athletics, Soccer, Netball and Volleyball, Boarders Swimming, Boarders Badminton
- Learn to Play programs - Tennis, Diving, Sailing
- Community sport - FDNA Netball, Girlsail, Girlsurf
- Girls Sport Victoria (Carnival and Weekly Sport Program) - Swimming, Diving, Indoor Cricket, Tennis, Softball, Water Polo, AFL, Netball, Hockey, Cross-Country, Soccer, Volleyball, Badminton, Athletics, Basketball, Triathlon (event), Cycling (event), Golf (event).
- Interschool State Sporting Organisation competitions - Aerobics, Equestrian, Horse Show, Lifesaving Victoria Surf League, Rowing regattas, Snowsports, HPV RACV Energy Breakthrough Challenge, Yachting Victoria Team Racing